• German formal - Sie
  • English
Fort Jesus
Fort JesusFort Jesus is a Portuguese fort built in 1593 by order of King Philip II of Spain, then ruler of the joint Portuguese and Spanish Kingdoms, to guard the Old Port of Mombasa and the searoute to india. The fort was designed by an Italian architect, Jao Batisto Cairato. The ground plan today is still the same than 400 years ago. It was declared a historical monument in 1958. Today it houses a museum. discovery records from old coast towns. A good combination is also the visit of the old town of Mombasa.